Saturday, March 2, 2013

In the Lunch box

I have a huge loathing for food that is sold as a 'packet within a packet'. Not only do they have a huge environmental impact, but I have found these foods contain more sugar, have a higher salt content and generally contain more artificial flavours, colours and preservatives which my kids just don't need. Interestingly, they are usually more expensive to purchase too?

So every Sunday I (with the kids help!) do a little cook up to make things for the lunch boxes for the week ahead. Typically I will do a double batch just to ensure I don't get caught out by the end of the week.

So from now on I thought I'd start sharing what we're cooking to perhaps give some ideas and help your house become less packaged too. Some weeks it will be sweet, sometimes savoury.....but always fuss free and always yummy :)

Here's todays batch of cooking:



JAM DROPS

200g butter, softened
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups plain flour
1/4 cup corn flour
about 1/4 cup of strawberry or raspberry jam

Preheat oven - 160 degrees
Cream sugar and butter until pale then beat in vanilla. Add sifted flours and mix on low until mixture comes together. Using your hands form dough into a ball and chill in fridge for 15 mins.
Roll about a teaspoon into a ball and place on lined tray. Press an indent in the centre of each with your finger and fill with a little jam.
Bake for 15 min or until golden.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...